Sunday, March 1

First words


So...

A few hours ago I landed back in UK after spending a week skiing in the French Alps. I was supposed to work on the first blog post while there, but instead I spent all days outside, gliding down beautiful white hills, grinning madly because the sun was shining and I felt happy and exhilarated and free. I figured there was enough time for blogging when I got back to polluted London where I am more then happy to hide at home with a green smoothie at hand.

As for this blog and it's name... My experience with raw food in the past year was often anything but graceful. I had two or three a-few-weeks-at-a time-long experiences on purely raw vegan food and I felt AMAZING. At the same time, there were many bowls of rice pudding and starchy pasta followed by wondering why, but WHY!? have I left the 'raw' wonder behind yet again. There were headaches and stomach upsets and moments of clarity and moments of despair (mostly with myself). But I tried not to make myself suffer more then is necessary, especially in a world where others do it for us often enough. And so I forgave myself, and moved on - which really means I allowed myself to eat cooked and starchy and diary laden food for long enough to remember how bad it makes me feel, and then slowly gathered the strenght to start eating raw again (at least for a while). All this back and forth started to make me feel like it is the stuff in the fridge that holds the rains of my life rather then myself.

I followed several raw food blogs last year including a few raw foodists who decided to join the Global Juice Feast to detoxify and cleanse and regenerate their bodies by eliminating all solid food and living only on fresh vegetable and fruit juices for up to 92 days. Although Juice Feasting sounded rather amazing, I was not sure I would ever be motivated enough to try living just on juice, even if there was to be A LOT of it. Somehow, one year later, it is exactly what I am about to do. I will start tomorrow morning with a few days of green smoothies, and come next Sunday I will be there with my jug and fat straw in hand, ready to rock and roll (and juice for England).

So this is the plan. My commitment to myself is to Juice Feast for at least 40 days, as I still do not feel ready to go all the way to 92 days. As a kundalini yoga practitioner I believe in the power of number 40 - it takes 40 days to break an old habit and begin to create a new one. I see this experience as a chance to reconnect with myself, to relearn to listen to my body, to what it wants, what it needs. It is a new start. I very much hope that by the end of the juicing experience I will no longer be a slave to every (taste)whim of my mind.

Of course all this will be made more interesting (and harder) by the fact that my husband will still need to be fed, and I think I did mention that he is no raw foodist! But I really do feel READY for this challenge. I feel like I need it, and I am looking forward to it.

I will keep a food - or rather a drink - log, and I will share with you what is going on during this time - as honestly as I can. Join me if you like, read about the challenges and successes and crazy stuff if you like, and tell me what you think - just use the comment link.

No comments: