Monday, March 2

Green smoothie Monday

Green smoothies, for those who do not yet know, are a super-powerhouses of nutrition made very yummy. They are also very simple to make. The only thing you need is a blender, the stronger the better, and you are ready to go. Take your favourite fruit, add a handful or more of any green leaves, splash of water to your liking, and blend blend blend. Mixing greens, which often taste bitter, with ripe and sweet fruit makes them much more palatable which allows us to consume much more of them then if we had to chew our way through handful upon handful. Blending them also breaks the tough structure of the leaves, making them a bit easier to digest. Sergei Boutenko from The Raw Family does with an enviable charm much better job at teaching you about this wonder-food in his short video.


I started the day with a pint of water with teaspoonful of MSM and juice of half a lemon, followed by a short yoga session to stretch and open my body to allow it to b r e a t h e .

Breakfast
1/2 galia melon
+huge handful of baby spinach
with a splash of water
= about a pint of yummy fresh potion

My colleague at work can't stand watching people drink smoothies or juices, and so out of courtesy to her I waited for her lunch break to have my lunch smoothie, as she is then out of the office (I only work part time so do not get a break, poor me). I managed to drink two huge mugs of fruit tea to stop feeling hungry and by one o'clock I was ready to tuck into this:

Lunch
1 large banana
5 small pears
lots and lots of baby spinach
+enough water to make 1 liter
= very sweet and filling concoction

Started feeling a bit spaced out and headachey in the afternoon and had a rather complex conversation with my inner self about having, or not having a latte to make my head feel better. (Whatever excuse for an addict, right?) At the end I promised myself a cup of tea once I got home instead. I figure I will have to get through the coffee withdrawal migraines sooner or later anyway. I do have to confess to being weak though and taking a couple of painkillers and a handful of pecans, as I started feeling a bit too ill. Lesson learned? God knows!

Snack:
1 large mango
very full handful of flat leaf parsley
large glass of water
= a tropical treat served in a tall wine glass

Just served dinner to Cooked Husband and had a huge mental fight with myself, this time about licking the spoon from his mashed potatoes. It is a bit weird serving food you didn't taste, but I won, and now am feeling very smug about it. Every little victory counts!

No dinner for me, just a large mug of mint and fennel tea.

No comments: